Monday, November 23, 2015

Thunder Storms

November 23, 2015

Thunderstorms!  I love thunderstorms!!!

I had forgotten how glorious a tropical thunderstorm could be - lightning cracking just above your head, strike after strike, back to back, making it seem like daylight, but it is night. Just when you think you heard the loudest, then comes the the next one, louder.

It feels like the whole earth is shaking, the house is going to crack and crumble, the earth move and we all become dust - and it feels scary, until you realize that if you lived to hear the thunder, then you have already escaped the ravages of the lightning strike.

And, the water. The tepid water. The turbulent yet soothing water.  It pours.  It just gushes. It gushes in every direction.

And then it is this feeling.  This feeling that you have known this, known this all your life.  This is the familiar.  And there is comfort in the familiar.

And even though this is not home anymore, this is where I am from.  This is me - the experience of these spectacular and incredible tropical thunderstorms is a part of me.  It is not all of me, there is more to me than that - hiking at Glacier National Park is me, hiking at Yosemite is me, hiking Tablerock and Stack Rock... they are all me.  A more recent me.  But tropical thunderstorms is a part of me, an ancient me that I have not experienced in a long time, and I am happy to renew that experience, to re-experience it now.  I realize have missed that part of me for a long time.



No comments: