Watched DamNation today. Enjoyed it. I love the idea of peaceful demonstrations - painting cracks and cut lines on dams.
![]() |
| Katie Lee - Glen Canyon - 1950's |
I especially loved the feisty lady (Katie Lee) and the two guys who documented Glen Canyon before it was flooded out to form Lake Powell.
The best part was towards the end where they show pictures of dam sites several years after the removal of the dams - where things have come back to a natural state.
The worst part was where they showed how the fish hatcheries really operated - they catch the salmon, beat them on the head several times to kill them, slit open their bellies and take the eggs, and throw the bodies out for fish-meal to be used as fertilizer. The fish cannot be eaten because they have been washed in chemicals prior to removing the eggs.
I always thought the eggs were collected as the fish laid them in the shallow waters upstream. How naive of me!!!


No comments:
Post a Comment