June 28th
This incident should be filed under the category of "Truth is Stranger than Fiction"! Here goes...
I love the convenience of the 24-hour automated postal machine... The convenience of doing business after hours, when there is no line. This is only available at the main post office of a town. So, I drive 7 miles to the main PO.
My main transaction was a package of tamarind for Lindy. Derek was experimenting with non-mainstream spices and was interested in making a dish that called for tamarind. So, I got a block of seedless tamarind pulp from the Asian market for Lindy to give to him.
I followed the instructions on the postal machine... what sized package, what is the zip code, will you accept the weight that the machine is registering, any prohibited substances included, will this big label fit your package or do you want a smaller label, slide your credit card here... ok then here is your tracking number and here is your stamp, now drop your package in to the bin on the wall over there.
I remember thinking that it was odd that my tracking barcode label printed before my stamp, but oh, well... My package was in the first class mail bin - Lindy should get it in 2 days. Mission accomplished. I was happy.
Then, a new transaction on the machine... I get a stamp for my letter to Tania, in Perth. I go through the motions to print an international air mail stamp. As I reach in to the dispenser, there is my stamp, but... wait a minute... There is also a tracking barcode sticker...!!! Oh, no! I know what happened even before I compare this barcode to the barcode on my receipt... THIS is my barcode for Lindy's package. The one I used is one that someone left behind in the machine accidentally!
So, what to do...!?! I came home and called the PO hotline, but they only work from 8am to 8pm, Monday through Friday, and this is Sunday night, and I know my package will be sorted and on a truck (to Iowa??? Ohio??? Alaska??? Who knows where!) before the crack of dawn. I checked into emailing the PO, but the web page says I will get a response within 3 business days - doesn't work for me.
So, I decide on the "do nothing" option.
Here is what I expect will happen... The package will NOT get to Lindy in 2 days as promised. It will follow the instructions of the wrong bar code and get to - who knows where! (Alabama, Kansas, Maine???). It will get to the designated town (Mobile? Wichita? Kennebunkport?). The mail carrier will see the hand written address and recognize that the package does not belong there. He will then print a new bar code and re-mail the package and Lindy will get it in about 5 days instead of 2.
What a crazy thing to happen! I couldn't have made up such a crazy story even if I wanted to!!! Truth is stranger than fiction!
No comments:
Post a Comment