Sunday, April 7, 2013

An Ordinary weekend - Sunday

April 7th

SUNDAY:

Mung ata, pol, lunu miris - breakfast of champions!


Posing next to the water lilies
The pond has been filled in - so all there is
anymore is this bot of water lilies




















This must be my
jet-lagged smile

Senaka Mama's mother passed away in January at age 90. So off we go along with our contribution 3-month dane - several pots and bottles of kiri-pani. It is weird to be tagging along to a gathering of more than 100 people where I will know only 2 - Senaka M and Dharshini. But of course in true Sri Lankan style everyone there makes me feel very welcome.

There is a lot of culture and tradition around a remembrance event like this - traditional drumming, the particular seating arrangements for the priests, the washing of feet, the offering of a meal and other useful items to the priests, the sermon, the merit, the non-religious portion involving traditional greetings, traditional dress (white), a smorgasbord of food. I could have chosen to either be a part of the event, or I could have chosen to be an outside observer - taking pictures, documenting the event. I chose the former. As a result - there are very few pictures.


Traditional coconut palm decoration for the ceremony


A picture taken at the ceremony


The house is beautiful - high ceilinged (about 15'), crown molding, large windows that let in a lot of light and made it airy, big verandah and porch, wonderful staircase, great yard etc etc. I do wish I had taken a picture of the house.

It was great to see Senaka M after a zillion years. We talked about his mother and then about dementia. It was nice to experience - again, after all these years - what a gentle, kind, compassionate human being he is.

Stopped at a juice bar in Polgahawela

Bridge at Alauva

Walked across the bridge to take a picture
of Maha Oya

The next bridge over - must be a railway bridge


Tissa mama didn't make it  to the ceremony - so we packed a lunch from the house and detoured via his house. We had a bonus - not only was he at home, Kamala Nanda was also at home. We hung out for a while - enjoyed looking at the big fish in the fish pond (I am sure they were about 2 pounds!!!). Sudath had left his phone number there for me.  I am looking forward to talking with him one of these days soon.



The driveway

















Their house
These lilies grow wild - they are everywhere!













Purple flowers - don't know the name

Then finally, we came home.

Feet still swollen - I am walking on pillows!!! Also sweating buckets. But I am sure "this too shall pass with time". I hope I get acclimated soon.

On a positive note - it seems my body has acclimated to mosquito bites...  I don't get big welts anymore - just a tiny red bump - and even that, only half the time.  I am thankful for small mercies  :)


 

No comments: