April 1st:
Punchi Kella waits until no one is around and tells me she has a secret. After a some thinking she whispers in my ear "Why are Sri Lankan people all brown?". So I draw a globe and the equator and countries with hot climates and cold climates. I tell her about hot climates where it is always summer, and how people developed brown stuff called pigment in their skins to protect themselves from the sun to keep them from burning, in places such as Sri Lanka and India and Mexico. But if you are from a country such as Germany where the sun is not so hot then those people didn't develop as much pigment in their skin,making their skin transparent. By this time Punchi Kolla has also found us and has joined in our discussion as does Daddy. Suddenly Nangi says "but it was supposed to be our secret!!!". However, she did seem to understand the concept of higher and lower pigmentation and seemed to be content with the answer.
Then Punchi Kolla wanted addition exercises - he wanted me to give him a row of 3 digit additions, a row of 2 digit additions, and a row of one digit additions. He knows to carry over from one column to another. I gave him two 3-digit numbers that resulted in a 4 digit number. He didn't know to carry over to the 4th digit when the components were both 3-digit numbers. When I showed him how, he understood it. He told me "Nanda, you taught me something new today". (So grown up now!). Later, I showed him how to play Sudoku. He caught on very quickly. That will make it two new things he learned from Nanda today :)
Many hugs and Nanda went home leaving Aiya and Nangi to enjoy a snack of fresh strawberries and whipped cream before bed.
No comments:
Post a Comment