Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Equator vs the 45th Parallel

July 2nd:

What is different, now that I am no longer at the equator, and living at the 45th parallel instead?

* 16 hours of daylight (vs about 12 by the equator).  I am enjoying the longer days.  I need to re-learn that just because it is bright outside doesn't mean it is not late in the evening.
* The sunlight is just glaring, vs softer light at the equator (is it the angle of the sun?).  It is really hard on my eyes, I need sunglasses!
* The lack of humidity at the 45th parallel is giving me a headache - need to adjust to the "new normal"
* My allergy/sinus issues are already kicking in at the 45th parallel!
* The sun is hot at the equator, but it positively scorches at the 45th parellel.  I wonder if it is the angel of the sun, but it is next to impossible to go out in short sleeves at the 45th parallel!
* A lot less perspiration at the 45th, very much less...  close to none...  I would say none.



** Drove today, after 3 months of not driving even once.  No issues, no - I didn't feel like I was driving on the wrong side of the road.  It also feels like riding a bicycle - it seems once you learn, you never un-learn.



No comments: