Monday, July 1, 2013

Leaving SGP...

July 1:

Early morning taxi from Mei Mei's house puts me at the airport a little before 7:00am.  Check in is super easy - only a small hiccup.  I can't get my boarding pass for the LAX to PDX leg, but my bags can be checked through - so I am happy.

The flight out of SGP is delayed about 1 hour, but in the end, they catch up the time such that I don't miss the flight from LAX.  LAX immigration was a zoo as always, this time's main culprit was complicated by a woman employee who was not fluent in English directing people to the wrong lines.  The passport stamping person was gruff too - but then put on a very pleasant voice to discuss lunch plans with the employee in the next cubicle.  Split personality!!!  I think they are required to put on a grumpy personality.  But as always, we survived the assault!!!

It is amazing how much shorter the trip is, only a mere 24 hours from SGP, compared to the 36 or so hours if it was from Sri Lanka.



SGP airport - hustle bustle

Had tea at Kat's favorite restaurant at the airport

Sculpture at SGP airport

Pretty clouds - view from the plane

What is this stream of something coming out of the wing???

Portland - very hazy
Wildfire season must have started already





















I usually sleep on these long flights, but this time I watched movies - 4 movies!!!




Side Effects.  I loved this - very suspenseful, very clever.  A doctor is framed for his patient murdering her husband, for prescribing drugs with bad side effects.  This movie is similar to "Presumed Innocent".












Shadow Dancer is about an IRA informant and the information collector.  The ending is very clever.  Touches on the theme - there are no good guys in war.












The Sessions is a weird film.  Has an art-house independent film.  It is about a man who bed ridden from the time he was 6 years old due to polio, wanting to lead a mainstream life as far as sexuality goes.  Apparently, this is based on a true story.






 The Cold Light of Day - This is a shoot-em-up, run-run-run, chase-chase-chase, speeding cars FBI double agent movie.  Mindless entertainment.  :)


No comments: