Thursday, January 23, 2014

The Familiar Long Drive

Jan 22:

It is time to make that long drive back again, to watch their dogs while they go on vacation.

I cleaned house late in to the night.  I dislike cleaning house, yes, I very much dislike cleaning house.  But what I dislike even more is coming back from a long trip to a messy house.  So, I stayed up late into the night cleaning house, doing what I should have done a month ago!!!  Then I decided that I would get a good night's rest and depart when I was ready, rather than try to get an early start.

Lindy came by in the morning and we hung out for quite a while, and eventually, the Monster and I left about 1:15pm.  It took me over 7 hours to get there, including a long break for gas and stretching our legs.  But this is not bad at all, considering the dense fog at times. Luckily, the roads were perfect - no ice, no snow pack.

Had fog for the first 80 miles
 and frost on the side of the road

I knew the inversion extended all the way to Ontario, but was surprised to find that it went a lot further than that.  I had traveled about 80 miles before I was finally beyond the inversion, and in blue skies and sunshine.  It was great to feel the sun on me, after being deprived for at least a couple of weeks.

The sun is struggling to come out
And... the sun is out
I had not seen the sun in a long time



































Then, another 100 miles or so later, in the Blue Mountain pas area, the fog hit again.  Cabbage hill was terrible, visibility was about 3-4 car lengths long.  Every so often I would catch a glimpse of the car ahead of me when he stepped on his brakes - the red lights would flash through the fog about 10 car lengths ahead... then the the car would disappear again.  It was quite nerve wracking.  I can see how it is not very difficult for people to go off the road on this hill.  Luckily, everyone had the sense to drive slowly.

Scenery pictures



Luckily the fog thinned by Pendleton, but it stayed gloomy and overcast for the next 100 or so miles.  The last 150 miles or so was clear, but by then it was dark, so there was no blue sky to be seen - just the glare of oncoming headlights.

Can't drive Oregon highways without seeing a logging truck!

I am thankful that the roads were clear.  This time of year, it could have bean treacherous.

Fog again!
Fog!






















There is hardly any snow on the sides of the road, and absolutely nothing on the road.  While this was good for driving, this does not bode well for the upcoming summer - the lack of moisture can make it a nasty wild-fire season.


That silo that I always take a picture of

No comments: