My 2 most favorite outcomes:

The black and white one started as a six layer tile (3 black and 3 white) and was then fired over a mold I created and then the surface ground down to create an almost flat surface with some texture.
The black one is also developed by firing a tile over a mold I created, this time a black surface with a clear back. The clear glass came through when I ground through the high points on the surface (right, middle). I love contrast between the lower surface (a richer black) and the ground down surface (looks grey); and also the transition from the ground down flat surface to the tapered rough surface (bottom left).
The final class project:

The project was to create a textured piece of glass using the mold techniques, and grinding down to expose the colors.
The pattern I wanted to create was an abstract rice field alongside water, using black, white and clear. The tile composition I chose was 2mm white, 2mm black, 2 mm white, 6 mm clear - creating a 1.2cm thick layered tile (about 1/2").
I love the way the glass flowed in to the deep pits in my mold which allowed me to grind down to expose the bottom most layer of clear glass, creating "windows" that let light through. I also love the half ground down textured section (right middle) that has a smooth top (grayish) and white pits.
![]() |
| Light through the "windows" |
![]() |
| Green wall color coming through the "windows" |
I don't like that to some people my little "Crater Lake" towards the middle looks like a flower on a stem!
Other "Honorable Mention" Samples from the class
![]() |
| White tile with "windows" |
![]() |
| Powder attempt at recreating colorful hotpots at Yellowstone - side view |
![]() |
| Another b&w tile slumped and ground down |
| Side view |
![]() |
| Plain old clear glass in a cold slump But I love the way some parts glow like mercury (pic doesn't capture that too well) |
![]() |
| Blanket technique, side view |
![]() |
| Bryce thinks I should make a collage of my experiments and hang it up on my wall :) |









5 comments:
GORGEOUS!!!
Thanks k. <3
WOW, these are beautiful. You are really devoping your talents. Thanks for sharing. Linda H.
Thanks Linda - see you tonight.
Great works!!
GA
Post a Comment