Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Los Plomeros... A 9-Act Opera... $350

Jan 30th:

I had small plumbing work that needed to be done years ago.
1)  Toilet shut off valve's threads were stripped - but not leaking.
2)  Outside tap - difficult to shut off
3)  Kitchen tap - sometimes the water was tinted and tastes like rust


And now, the Opera Starts...

Act 1: 
Jan 22nd Morning- Josh arrives - extremely nice guy.  Maybe in his late 20's or early 30's.  Very personable, very capable.  Checks out the 3 issues.  We decide that 2 and 3 can wait for a warmer day (temps about 15F outside).  He looks for my water main for a while in the bitter cold, poking around in six inches of snow, in my neighbor's yard - but after about 15 minutes with no success, we decide he should come in about a week, when we expected the snow to have melted.

Act 2: 
Jan 22nd evening - Ouch!  What is it that I stepped in??? 

The bathroom floor is covered in water!!!!  Soaking up to the bedroom carpet!!!!!  When the plumber wiggled the dead valve, it seems to have dislodged something and caused a slow leak.  It is not too much of a tragedy because it is only a "3 towel night" - it can be contained with 3 bath towels per night.

Act 3: 
Jan 23rd - Ryan arrives - Plumber's assistant, extremely nice guy, very personable, very capable.  Replaces the valve, all is almost well.  There is a little drip from the bottom of the tank.  He tightens it some more and all is well.

Act 4: 
Jan 23rd evening (repeat of act 2) -
Ouch!  What is it that I stepped in??? #2 

There is a big puddle on the bathroom floor, almost to the door.  It is a slow leak much slower than the prior leak, it is a "1 towel night" - one bath towel can soak up a night's leak.

Act 5: 
Jan 25th - Ryan arrives - tightens the nut on the bottom of toilet tank - all is well.

Act 6: 
Jan 25th evening (repeat of act 2 and act 4) -
Ouch! What is it that I stepped in ??? #3

There is a puddle on the floor.  A small one, this is a "1/3th towel night".  1/3 of a bath towel can contain the leak.

Act 7: 
Jan 28th - Ryan arrives - tightens the connector that is right below the toilet tank shut off valve.  All is well.

Act 8:
Jan 28th evening (repeat of acts 2, 4 and 6) -
Ouch! What is it that I stepped in???  #4

There is a mini puddle.  I would say it is a "1/10th towel night".

Act 9: 
Jan 30th - Josh and Ryan both arrive.  The issue is that a piece of pipe has a teeeeeny pinhole.  The pipe itself is fine, but has been damaged by the installer's wrench hold and has rusted over time.

Ryan is in the crawl space - long PVC pipes, and other paraphernalia used - they both work on installing pipes and since he is already in the crawl space, then replace the outside tap as well - the one that had issues - the #2 item on the original list.

So...  after a week of plumbers and $350 later, I think all is well.

The End???   I hope so.

Act 10?: 
I am holding Act 10 open for a few days as a possibility, but I really hope tha Act 9 was the last.

By the way...  I took care of #3 on the original list by buying installing a water filter that I got at Lowe's.  It seems to work :)  So, hopefully, this is the end to my plumbing opera for a loooong while.

No comments: