Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Community Ed

Feb 4:

I love Community Education classes.  You can find a broad range of topics that are interesting, and the classes are short and affordable. 

Steph and I took a class last week titled something like "Traveling on a Low Budget".  It was an interesting class - but it was not what we expected at all.  We expected to hear tips and trips on how to make trips less expensive.  However what we heard was the experiences of this young man who was traveling the world via motorcycle.  He had already been to about 30 countries, and he was only 30 years old!  The presentation was very interesting but the topic was not "low budget" but was more the do's and don'ts of travel.  I wish he would have another presentation dedicated to a slide show of his travels.

Now I am in a class about Journal Writing.  This is a 3-week class...  1.5 hours on each Monday night.  I thought this would be about writing a blog and how to make your blog more interesting and readable to your audience.  However, it is not that at all!  But I am still enjoying it.  The class focuses on written journals (hand written).  It is mostly about how to write, how to break through a writers' block, how to get the juices flowing, how to gather ideas and topics.  So, we do things like drawing mind maps, making lists, writing "stream of consciousness" paragraphs for 10 minutes, doodling etc.  It is good for a number cruncher like me to do left brained exercises like this.  And, it is nice that I am enjoying it.  The last session will be on this coming Monday.



Collage of student art at West Junior High


The Journaling class is at West Junior High.  Here is a picture I took of a mural there - it is some pictures that kids have drawn and collaged.  I guess it must be from an art class.  I think it is beautiful - very talented kids.  I very much appreciate kids who can draw because I could not draw AT ALL when I was a kid.  In fact, I still can't draw very well - but that doesn't stop me anymore!!!!

No comments: