Friday, February 15, 2013

Rusted car

Feb 11th - Feb 15th :

I had a plan, a technique, a design in mind, I had already purchased the glass in the right quantities in the right colors - three shades of blue, and was driving over to the glass studio to make my piece when... out of my passenger-side window I see a car...  It is completely rusted - but beautiful.  I think it has been rusted out on purpose.  The colors are dark grey, light grey, dark rusted orange, rusted yellow.  I can't get those colors out of my mind.

So - as you already guessed by now, I set aside my plans for the blue project and bought new glass in the colors of the rusted car.  Here is the rest of the story in pictures. This is a technique I learned at my glass class in January from visiting artist Richard Parrish.
 

Select the class, cut, clean.
Next, make the mold
 
 
 
 

 
 
 
 
 


In the kiln, ready to be fired
I chose not to pre-fire into a slab
 
Out of the kiln
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
15 min of grinding
grey, orange coming through
 
 

30 min of grinding
yellow and clear coming through
top right has clear window
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Done!
 
 




It is pretty, but it is not what I expected.  This is always the case with glass - they turn out pretty but they are never what you had in mind.  I had planned for more yellow/orange, and less grey.  And also planned for more texture than I ended up with.  But in chasing the yellow/orange I ground down more than I had planned for, and lost most of the texture.

Learnings...  If I wanted more of the yellow/orange, and less grey, then I should have either flipped the stack order or carved the mold deeper.  Always new learnings, and new things to try - I love it!  Next project - use up the blue glass that I originally bought for this project  :)

No comments: