Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Floating

Feb 13th:

Being the Groupon/AmazonLocal shopper that I am, I bought one for something called "Floatation Therapy".  I had no idea what that meant, but in reading the little blurb that went with it, I found it to be intriguing - intriguing enough to buy it.

I had a great experience!  And an added and unexpected bonus - I was absolutely and totally pain free for all of the next day - my shoulder ache had disappeared.

The place is called "Drop of Calm" and it is located in downtown Nampa.  It is a small and calm place operated by a young couple who happen to also have a very young baby - 2 months old  :)  The guy said he has always been interested in peace and calm, and had wanted to share that with others.  But how do you share meditation with others??? But now, with this technique, he can share the benefits of meditation with anyone, without them having to actually meditate.  That makes him happy.

The actual process is two fold...
First you sit at a bar and breath in oxygen for about 10 minutes.  You could add a scent if you are interested - I chose sandalwood :)  It smelled good, but I didn't feel any different from having breathed oxygen.  He said that if you are already very relaxed, then you will not feel much of a difference from the oxygen.

Then, the second step... you take a quick shower to wash off the lotion from your body and step in to a big tank of water.  The water is only 10" deep but it is quite saturated with Epsom salts that your body floats.  The water is at just the right temperature that you can't tell where the water ends and the ambient air begins.  It was extremely relaxing. 

There is a door that you can shut to make it completely soundproof and light proof, which I did shut.  So, I was in pitch black and with no sound for 1 hour.  I thought it might spook me and make me feel claustrophobic, and make me want to keep the door open.  I do feel somewhat claustrophobic in the MRI machine.  However, this was just fine.  I think it was the pitch black that made it comfortable - I felt like I was floating in the night sky.  After about 20 minutes it did get a little humid.  So I opened the door and swung it back and forth to get some cooler and less humid air inside.  But after that, I was fine again for the next 40 minutes until it was time to come out.

I wish I could do this every day, or at least once a week.

1 comment:

Park said...

lovely!

but why do you go in MRI machines?