Feb 15th:
The Monster and I went for a walk today - it was a beautiful day - blue skies, sunshine, temps in the 40's (F). It got so warm that I had to unzip my jacket, which got me thinking... When it gets to be in the 40's (F) in the fall, we are freezing, no matter how much sunshine there is, but the same temperature in spring makes us feel hot.
... Which then gets me thinking about how what we feel is relative to a baseline. The spring baseline is what I felt 3 weeks ago which was 12F highs and -2F lows. But in the fall we are coming off 90F and then 70F when we then find ourselves in 40F weather, which makes it seem very cold.
... Which then makes me think about baselines relative to happiness and contentment - that having been a kid who hated taking to shower in cold water (cold water is still cold, even in tropical climates), now having hot water in my shower makes me happy - no matter that I have had hot water in my shower for the last 25+ years - it still makes me happy. Or having worked long hours for most of the last couple of decades, having time to play with glass, read books, hike, hang out with friends and family makes me happy.
... Which makes me think - this is enough philosophising for a Friday evening - it is time for more lighthearted thoughts :)
No comments:
Post a Comment