Saturday, May 4, 2013

Spending the day with Avie

May 4th:

Avie and Alan picked me up and off we went on our boondoggle.  First to drop Alan off for his panel discussion - he was on a panel to discuss "Doctor stuff" with doctors in training.  Then off Avie and I on our boondoggle.

First an impromptu drive-by of one of the many houses that we lived in as kids - "C59" - I spent some of my teenage years here.

Boudhaloka Mawatha
We drove this road every day
to drop my brothers off at their school



















"C59" Police Officers Quarters
I lived in this house for some of my teen years
My bedroom window is in the pointy-roof section



















Across the street from our house -
The Police Officers' Mess
Where grand Police Officers parties were held
As kids we would turn off the bedroom lights and
watch from our windows, and listen to the music

First to Unity Plaza to look for a battery for my computer - sooooo many electronics shops all in one place - how convenient!  No battery - they said to check back on Monday.  Then we spotted a book shop - I HAD to go in.  After much browsing I got away with only about 10 books  :)  Some had won or had been nominated for the Gratien Prize.  I am looking forward to reading them.  Still no postcards worthy of purchase - the picture quality is very low - I don't understand why.  There must not be much of a demand for picture postcards.

Rail tracks and ocean - as we
look for a parking spot


Off to the post office to mail some letters.  What an adventure that was.  The first adventure was crossing Galle road.  There is a method to this madness, and I used to be quite fluent in that method - but I am a bit rusty now - need to re-learn. 













The PO was an agency PO on the upper floor of the vegetable and meat market.  It smelled like what it was - the meat market.  Chickens clacking in baskets, waiting to meet their maker.  I couldn't make myself take a picture of them - but I did take pictures of the carcasses.  These markets are pretty rare in the city - most markets are now very packaged and very sanitized.

Half a pig




Pan catches the drip from
entrails hanging above
















Bottom left looks like cow ribs















Avie and I were allowing a bit too much room to the person in front of us that the person behind us decided to just come forward and take that space - too funny!  We could have told him we were in line too - but oh well, we were in no hurry - so we just carried on chatting and eventually got our business attended to.

Back to the hospital to rescue Alan from his discussion panel, and off to the house.

The newest addition to Avie's family
No name yet























Avie cooked a great lunch - and then we spent the afternoon catching up - about work and friends and kids and aspirations.  Jonathan has a big project planned - a 7' go cart.  The metal rods are lining the living right now!  Janine was in a sports meet for most of the day - she came back with several certificates for first place.  And then it was back home for me - with a lot of perfect varaka to share with BLA/LT.

Perfect varaka - great flavor and crunch



No comments: