Gihan got me a USB keyboard - so now I am on-line again :)
![]() |
| Aiya - aspiring driver |
![]() |
| Nangi with Ammi |
Gihan and I then went over to Achchiamma's house. As a newly widowed woman in the early 1960's with 6 children, she single-handedly went to the banks to get the loans, went to the city to get the paperwork done, bought the property, supervised the building of the house, and moved in. She lived there for 50 years. So many people moved in and out of there because it was a convenient and central location for going to school, going to work etc. I happened to be living there when she made her final mortgage payment - she was very very proud of her achievements.
Most of the house is empty now - but it looks good. It was nice to walk around the house - some sections have not been open for decades. It was nice also to talk to Gihan about my fond memories - some of which were from before he was born! He was a good sport and listened to all my ramblings without complaint! I am very glad the house is still in the family.
My most fond memory of this house is from when our whole nuclear family lived there along with Achichiamma and her family - Lochu Mami, Bandu Mami, Hajik. Dinner at that round table at the non-formal dining area is what I remember. It was a raucous joyous affair - everyone talking at the same time, and teasing each other and joking and laughing - about 6 people in their 20-s and early 30's all in the same house. And Achchiamma bugging the whole lot of them, to be quieter, to stop talking and finish eating because it is late and the servants had to eat and go to bed etc etc. I must have been 6 or so - and I loved to be in the sidelines and listen. I ate separately, with the kids - I didn't get to sit with them.
Another good memory is of me sitting at the top of the stairs listening to Bandu Mami in his room upstairs playing Walk Don't Run by the Ventures on his brand new electric guitar. I couldn't go anywhere near his room because he must have been 22 and I must have been 6 and therefore a big pest - I would get shoo'ed away. So, I had to stay some distance away and not be seen. To this day I love the Ventures and other 60's music such as the Beatles. He owned the "Revolver" and "Rubber Soul" on vinyl.
Some pictures from my visit...
![]() |
| This picture of Seeya always hung in the dining room overlooking the huge dining table |
![]() |
| The lamp hung over the big dining table and the clock nearby too. Was there ever a time when the clock worked?? |
![]() |
| The railing with the Kandyan Dancer design I was afraid of the "T" grill behind Gihan I thought someone would break through and grab me - especially at night! |
![]() |
| The dining room - now empty I liked the original black floor much better than this white shiny tile floor. But... our feet were always black from the floor polish |
![]() |
| Living room - now empty |
![]() |
| Front door - Achchiamma tells a story of how the original design had the front door on the other side, but had to be redesigned because front doors cannot face the west. |
![]() |
| Carport wall - this used to be all white We would each crawl in to one of the shelves and pretend it was our apartment |
![]() |
| The dining room cabinet with all the familiar photographs on top |
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
No comments:
Post a Comment