Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Schindler

August 21st:

Batu calls me Schindler because I am the designated keeper of the list, the person who reviews the resumes and makes the call as to who will be invited for an interview.  Sick humor!

I am helping Lokka hire a teachers aid.  We posted an ad on Craig's List and within 3 days we had such an overwhelming response of qualified people that we had to pull the ad off CL.  A large number were over qualified - several had a BS and a few had a masters degree.  sadly, a large proportion were currently unemployed, or under-employed.  

All this interested for a slightly-higher-than-minimum-wage job.  It is very eye opening to me.  I don't have any friends or family who are without a job, even though I have a vast array of friends.  So, I think I was insulated from the reality of the recession.  This is the first time that I actually came face to face with a cross section of the population that is desperately looking for work.  They are passionate, they are qualified, they are well spoken and capable...  It is quite overwhelming.

On the one hand, I am sad that there are so many capable people without work; but on the other hand I am happy that by next week, there will be one less unemployed person.

No comments: