Saturday, March 2, 2013

Action Packed Friday!

March 1st:

The most productive thing I did today is that I FINALLY finished my resume.  This is a big relief!  I wanted to get it all down on paper before I forgot it all.  And, as I started to write it down, I could tell that I had forgotten quite a bit of it - Pam B and Haggerty had to remind me of my accomplishments - thanks you guys!  But I am happy that this item that had been nagging at me, keeping me from enjoying my sabbatical, is finally done.  Now I can file it away and continue to enjoy the sabbatical - until it is time to pull it out again.

Having finished that by about 11am, then I went over to the glass studio to play.  Today's play was focused on getting some pendants done.  This particular technique is easy enough to do, but one I had not tried before.  In a nutshell, you create a dammed (2 m's, no "n") rectangle on a kiln shelf and fill it up with bits and pieces of various colors and fire it in to a brick.  I used deep red, brown, "baby poop", and clear.  Then you slice it with a tile saw and polish the pieces to make pendants.

This is my brick.  Will post pictures of end result when I have the pendants.

When it comes to glass, there are never enough hours in a day to get done everything I want to get done. In that sense, it is very similar to work, when I used to be employed.  But I had a after-lunch date with Lindy that I had to be home for by 2pm.  Lindy picked me up and we went to Rembrandt's in Eagle.  This is housed in the longest continuously operating church building in Idaho (until it stopped being a church).  It was built in 1897 and continued to be a church until about 10 years ago when the church dissolved and the building was used as a restaurant.














We hung out there until about 4:30pm - I had spinach and mushroom quiche, and Lindy had apple crisp and some fancy coffee in a HUGE mug.  We sat at a leather couch by a window and basked in the sunshine and talked about everything and nothing.  That was a nice way to celebrate her birthday.  Then back home for a short break to recover from so much food, and off to see Marilyn.




















A couple of weeks ago, Marilyn and I had talked about one of the authors we both liked a lot when we were teenagers - Daphne du Maurier.  Some of these books were Rebecca, Jamaica Inn, Frenchman's Creek, Don't Look Now, The Birds.  We thought it would be fun to watch the movies of a couple of them some night - and this was the night.  After some dinner we started one DVD - Jamaica Inn.  I loooooved the book, but the movie was not so good - it was made in 1939 and was a grainy black and white (dark green and white?) and the sound faded in and out - it was difficult to follow.  So, after about 10 minutes of that, we stopped it and started a second DVD - Rebecca.  This was also a b+w movie made in 1940.  The quality was a lot better - the images were crisp and the sound was good.  We d watch this one to the end, but we both agreed the book was far better than the movie.  I particularly dislike the acting style of those days where they seemed to over-act rather than act-natural.

It was a full day!  I was also considering blocking out some time to exercise too, but that didn't happen - partly due to a lack of time and partly due to a lack of motivation :)

No comments: