Tuesday, March 12, 2013

The AT will have to wait :(

March 12:

Ever since I knew I was going to take some time off work (roughly June 2012), I had planned on an AT hike - not a through hike, just a mini hike, a section hike, nothing major.  When I slotted the activities to time periods, this was slotted to the Sept/Oct 2013 time frame.  Bryce was also planning to join me on this adventure.


In the last few weeks I have been investigating this more seriously - scanning through about about 8 books from the library, watching 3 hours of documentary video - also from the library, checking out countless numbers of web pages...  and the conclusion is, the AT is not going to work out in the next 2 years. 


The shortest logical section hike is about 8 days long, and with travel in and out, it becomes a 10 day trip at a minimum.  I was hoping for a 3-day hike at max.  So, while I still want to hike the AT, it is not going to be in the next couple of years.

On the plus side...  while researching the AT, especially the through-hikers' documentaries (DVD and books), I think I caught their bug.  I think I would really really like to attempt to through-hike the AT... someday.  I even have a trail name picked out  :)  But in the mean time, I will focus my energies on local hikes - maybe even a portion of the Centennial Trail.  That is the one thing we don't lack here - hikes - we have an abundance of them - all shapes and sizes  :)

Carla Mae sent me the blog of an acquaintance who is through hiking this year.  I am adding it to the "friends blogs" portion of my blog (right hand side bar).  For now, I am hiking the AT vicariously, through him.

No comments: